Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Growing Up Bipolar

I am a 27 year old teacher who has grown up with a Bipolar Mother. Currently my mother is experiencing a manic episode. I have created this blog for a few reasons:
1. In hopes that my story and experiences will helps someone else who may be going through a similiar situation

2. A medium to record my mom's manic and depressive episodes in hopes that my family can better understand what triggers(and the best way to cope with) my mom's episodes.

3. Therapy for myself. I have learned that many people do not understand bipolar disorder. Even with setting my expectations very low, I often become frustrated and irritated when I try to explain to people what our family is experiencing and the respones are get(as well intended as they are) are things like "Don't take it personally. You're mom is not in the right state of mind" "You just have to let it go". This is a complex issues that is hard to explain to people have haven't been through it. This blog give me the opportunity to vent and tell my story without getting defensive.

This blog is in no way intended to be a clinical view of bipolar disorder. This rather is a form of an online journal.....everything included on this blog is just my experiences and my story, the story of ....."Growing Up Bipolar(daughter of a bipolar mother)".

No comments:

Post a Comment